In farmerswife there is an Icon library with a standard set of Icons that can be used to illustrate Objects, Users, Services etc. Click here to view the full Icon Library
However, if you do not find what you need in the default Library, you can customise your own icons by following the steps below:
- Step 1: Create Custom Icon files
- Step 2: Back up the database and quit the farmerswife server
- Step 3: Add the Custom Icons to the Server
- Step 4: Using your new Icons
Create Custom Icon Files
Size, format and file names for Custom Icons
For each Icon you will need two GIF or PNG images in two different sizes:
- Bigger Icon: 32x32 pixels
- Smaller Icon: 16x16 pixels
The images should then be named as follows, with iconname being replaced with the name you wish to give the Icon. Both files should have the same iconname
- Bigger icon: c_iconname_b.gif / c_iconname_b.png
- Smaller icon: c_iconname_s.gif / c_iconname_s.png
e.g.: for a new turtle icon, the file names would be:
Rules on file name and format
- Use a .gif or a .png format with both icon sizes for the same icon, using the same format
It is also possible to use an "Alpha" format e.g. gif89a
- Use ASCII letters
- All icons must have the prefix c_ or farmerswife will ignore them
- Add the suffixes: _b for big, and _s for small
- Do not use underscores in file names, aside from the prefix & suffix
- Do not use spaces in file names
- Do not use capital letters
For User Icons you need a .txt file
You can also use customised icons for Users. However, in this case as the icon will be used to display a User Booking colour, a .txt file needs to be added along with the two icon files
The .txt file should have again have the iconname as follows:
Within the .txt file, a colour in HTML compatible format has to be added, e.g. "#3CB371" for dark green. (Search for HTML colour values on the internet)
The purpose of the .txt file is to be able to display the User Booking colour when booking in the Hourline; dark green in the example below (to be used with the setting Use Involved User Colour setting, within the Hourline section of the Toolbox settings).
Once you have your icon files, you are ready to add them to the Server.
Back up the database and quit the farmerswife server
- Make sure all users are logged out.
- Backup the database as a security measure
- Quit the server
Add the Custom Icons to the Server
If you are on Mac, open the server's farmerswife root installation folder (right-click on the server icon > Show package contents). On Windows, locate the farmerswife folder, within your installation location (most likely to be in Program Files, or Program Files x86)
- Find the folder “custom_icons”
N.B. The first time adding icons the folder will be found as shown in the images below, next time it will be found within the system folder.
- Add your two icon image files (big & small) into the custom_icons folder (or three files when adding a user icon and .txt file)
- Move the custom_icons folder into the system folder
Within the custom_icons folder there is a zip file with examples.
Using your new icons
After you have added the icon files to the server, you will need to restart the server. On the restart, the server log should show the new icons being loaded into the server. After the log is showing Server Ready, log in and locate your new icons.
Your new icons will appear under Custom Icons and under Users, if you have added a user icon.
Have fun with your new icons!